Monday, November 3, 2008

Ouch!

Today I had made doctor appointments for Cale, Colby and I to go for get flu shots. My OB highly recommended that I get one, and the boys are also in the high risk category so we all went to our family doctor this afternoon.

Cale also needed to have his yearly check up so I scheduled it for the same time. He was weighed (35 pounds) and measured (40 1/4 inches), 40% for both on the growth chart. When we got there they were both aware that we were getting shots, unfortunately Cale didn't know what he was in for. He had to have four immunizations, plus the flu shot, and have his blood drawn. So 5 pokes. He was not a happy person, can't say as I blame the guy. Ouch! He looks like a pin cushion. The nurses felt so bad, they gave him candy and stickers, but I don't think he is up for forgiving them yet. The bad news....they could only give him 1/2 of his flu vaccine, because of his age, so he has to have the other 1/2 next month. I think Shawn gets to take him....

3 comments:

Sandy May said...

Did you know you can buy an over the counter topical that numbs the skin and makes it easier for shots? They do not feel the injection but may feel the serum. We have used this on Adele since she was a babe. Made shots sooo much easier. Plus a tylenol before we got the shot. You can get it at Walgreens. You just get the tube and bring large bandaids. The nurses apply the topical ointment and put the bandaid on top and let sit for 10 min. then come back and do the shot! A life saver! Let me know if you want more info.

Jena said...

oooh sandy! you are a life saver :D let me know more info!

Sandy May said...

Do you know that you can buy a topical cream at your local Walgreens that takes the "sting" out of shots" so they do not feel the needle prick? We used this at all of Adele's appts and it worked well. they may feel the serum in their skin but it is most pleasent for the parents.