Sunday, September 14, 2008

If this doen't say it all.....

Anyone with children in school can totally appreciate this. I remember when I was in school--way back in the day, peanut butter sandwiches were served with ALMOST every meal. Allergies had to have existed then, but wow have times changed. This is a tidbit of what came home from Colby's school last week....


PEANUT ALLERGIES AT WESTRIDGE

Please remember when packing school lunches and sending treats to school, that Westridge Elementary does have many students in each grade level and staff members that are allergic to peanuts. We are trying very hard to stay peanut-free and your cooperation would help those that have this Life-Threatening allergy. Even the mere odor of peanut products can trigger a severe situation for them. Thanks for your help and understanding.

Wow! I cannot even imagine how difficult it must be to have a child with allergies to food, so I am willing to take precautions to make sure everyone else's children can be safe too. But can this be true, can the mere smell trigger a reaction? I couldn't imagine, and after looking a little on the Internet, it does look like that maybe an exaggeration, but whatever, I guess better safe than sorry.
Just the other day, I went to our pantry to grab Colby a snack to have at school, they are allowed to have a snack in the morning-granola bars, fruit, veggies, anything slightly healthy. He totally freaked-I CAN'T TAKE THAT GRANOLA BAR IT HAS PEANUT BUTTER...wow-e!
Its a learning process I guess that will take a little getting used to, especially when I have a 9 year old who LOVES peanut butter and jelly....

0 comments: