Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Happy Birthday Mom!

Saturday September 1 was my mom's birthday. I guess I'm just writing this blog because I would like to put down in writing a few things I feel about the person who brought me into this world, because Lord knows she can't even turn on a computer.

My mom:

  • just turned 64
  • is an incredibly strong, independent woman
  • has been a single mom since I turned 4
  • works hard at everything she does
  • has four children and four grandchildren
  • is a recovering alcoholic who has been sober almost 6 years. She quit on her own, cold turkey!
  • loves to garden-flowers and vegetables -- and loves to share the abundance
  • buys Christmas gifts all year round, only to give you the item immediately and wrap up the receipts. Yep, that's right.

I would just like to say I thank God for the chance I have gotten to get to know this woman in a whole new light. My childhood was a very trying time and I feel blessed to have received this time to meet the real her, and especially to have my boys know this Nana.

3 comments:

Dara said...

wow jenn - that is great!

Lori Eilers said...

I'm so glad for your relationship you have now. It's amazing how much smarter and stronger our parents are AFTER we become parents ourselves.

amain said...

crack me UP about the Christmas presents...that is just a hoot!!!
Mark's Mom would shop all year, too, and then totally forget about gifts, and find them months...and years!...later.
Too funny:)
That is so awesome that you have a new relationship with your mom.