Thursday, September 13, 2007

September 13, 2002

...

It is totally amazing how you can wake up in the morning and suddenly be smacked in the head and taken back in time. I'm not sure that I have ever blogged about the phenomenal family that I married into. Shawn's family-- close, huggy, loving, warm. Mine pretty close to none of these. My mother-in-law Judy soon became one of the closest, best friends. I know strange. I could talk with her, she could relate, and always offered a warm place to land. Five years ago, she was gone without warning. We were in Charlottesville, Virginia at the time. Shawn and Colby had spoke on the phone with her the night before, I hadn't felt good so I went to bed early (oh the what ifs). She went to bed fine and the next morning she was gone. A massive heart attack at 52 years old. We immediately flew home, and instead of going to our own home we took refuge at her and my father in laws house for the next 30+ days. It seemed like it would never get easier.


We all still have our struggles, the tears don't appear every day. But you can bet that we all still remember something about her everyday. Since we have begun going to church I asked Shawn the other day, don't you wonder WHY-why such a good loving person -why her -why then -why Colby's nana-why didn't Cale get to know her-why why why. He said I can answer that-he said my life if 180 degrees different. You live for today, you don't wait to tell someone tomorrow how you feel, you remember that there may not be a tomorrow. He's right, she is in a good place, and we are closer for it. but sometimes it still doesn't seem fair. I am grateful to know that someday we will be together again, and until then we have beautiful eyes shining down from heaven watching over us.

I love you and miss you,
Judy Lorraine Adair
1950-2002

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She sounds so wonderful and I am sorry ya'lls time was cut short. Thank you for sharing about her.

Jena said...

what great advice from Shawn! I hope that I can always keep that in mind. That is so amazing that you and your mother-in-law were so close! How special!

Dara said...

wow - her middle name is my middle name.
im so sorry for your loss. shawn's perspective is right - we don't need to put off for tomorrow what we should be saying in the present.

amain said...

Oh, Jenn, thank you for sharing your mother in law with all of us. Mark's Mom has been gone 14 years this month. Mark and I have only been married 8 years. But I grew up with his family, and am so thankful that I get to be the mother to her grandchildren. I love sharing Grandma Kay with our girls. Colby, and Cale, too, will always be blessed to have that from you:)